Photo by Sophia Lemon.
We are honoured to welcome Drew Dudley back as the host of TEDxToronto 2015. A true talent in the art of communication and leadership, Drew is a driving force in both the TED and TEDx communities.
Many of you may be familiar with Drew’s journey, however here are five things you might not know:
- He is a real staple in the TEDx community. Since his first TEDx presentation at TEDxToronto in 2010, he has gone on to appear as a speaker at eight other TEDx events around the world (watch them here www.drewdudley.com). TEDxToronto remains his home, and TEDxToronto 2015 marks his third appearance as the conference host.
- He has descended from quite the line of rogues. It seems a number of his family ancestors conspired to usurp the throne of England (“Game of Thrones”-style) in 1553, following the death of Edward VI. In fact, they pulled it off for…nine days. Unfortunately, the rightful Queen didn’t take this particularly well, and it was “off with a few Dudley heads” shortly thereafter. Still, if approximately 1843 people in the royal line of succession die, there’s a possibility Drew will be the next King of England.
- Unable to settle on a name for his company, Drew had a friend suggest that he “just write down a list of his absolute favourite words, and pick one of those.” Nuance came out on top after the following just didn’t seem to work: Arugala Leadership, Panache Leadership, and Omphaloskepsis Leadership (he loves that this word exists).
- Now a world-renowned speaker, Drew performs 150 talks annually, spends 250 days per year on the road, and travels over 240,000km in the air.
- He chooses a different city in which to live every four months, so almost everything he owns can fit in his beloved car “Cordelia”. Unfortunately his “disturbingly large stuffed penguin collection for a grown man” must live in storage as a result, although his collection of over 20 fedoras does travel with him.