We don’t charge for tickets to TEDxToronto. Instead, we asked interested parties to submit a short application. We do this for two reasons: to be fair in allocating seats and so that our audience members are of high calibre.
Today, we were pleased to notify applicants if they received a delegate pass this year. In total, 200 people were selected from over 850 applicants for a spot in our live audience.
The quality of this year's applicants surpassed everyone's expectations and made the selection process an unenviable task for our volunteer-based committee. To help you understand what we mean, here are some of our applicants:
- Rhodes Scholars
- Physicist with a theorem named after him
- Canada’s most award-winning music video director
- Doctor who ran the Ironman and grows food in his backyard
- Parent who published 20+ books and gave parenting advice to Britney Spears
- And people from non-profits, government, technology start-ups, students, consultants, volunteers, researchers and dreamers… just to name a few
Thank you if you submitted an application. It has been a difficult and inspiring process.
Fairness was paramount to how we approached the selection process. Everyone was judged on the effort they demonstrated in assembling their applications in addition to how well their application related to this year's theme of "A Call to Action".
While unfortunately we are limited by the venue's space and can't have everyone attend the live event, our committee is fully committed to making this year as accessible as possible. We have established several ways in which you can still take part:
- Watch the event live at one of our Satellite Viewing Parties or host your own Satellite Viewing Party
- Watch the live webcast by visiting TEDxToronto.com on September 30th
- Attend the after-party with 1,000 others at 99Sudbury starting at 9pm (ticket sales coming soon)
This event is free of charge thanks to the generous support of our sponsors: Jet Cooper, The Biz Media, Extreme Group, Idea Couture, BNotions, The Working Group, Sheridan, Freshii, The City of Toronto, Glenn Gould Studio, Greenscroll, Sense Appeal, Soma Chocolatemaker, Indgo Books & Music, Lavin Agency, National Speakers Bureau, BuildMyLanyard.com, Traffic Design, Livestream, NotableTV, 99Sudbury, and Stella Artois.
Thank you again for your interest in TEDxToronto and commitment to Ideas Worth Spreading.